30.9.26

ROCK'N'ROLL HALL of FAME, 2026

Such is my apathy towards the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame these days that this year, for the first time since 1992, I failed to vote for any of the 2026 nominees. This was because for the first time ever the ballot was digitalised and, as I recall, would not accept my voting form because I failed to vote for the required eight nominees. In the past I’d received a brochure, such as can be seen here on previous posts about the R&RHoF, which included a form on which to vote that I used to put in the mail to an address in New York. When I didn’t vote for the requisite number of acts I added a note explaining that in my opinion there were insufficient acts worthy of induction and, as far as I am aware, this was accepted by those in charge. Earlier this year, however, AI would not accept this explanation and rejected my on-line voting form, so I abandoned the process. 

So, my preferences carry no weight this year, but since I complained regularly in the past about the merits of those nominated and suggested possible alternatives they’re probably glad to see the back of me. Nevertheless, this mild sedition on my part hasn’t prevented the R&RHoF folk from inviting me to the 2026 induction ceremony which takes place at the Peacock Theatre in Los Angeles, on November 14. The cheapest seats are $543, the most expensive $10,089 which I assume is the price of a group ticket. Unless I win the lottery big time between now and then I won’t be going. 

Those due to be inducted at the event are Phil Collins, Billy Idol, Iron Maiden, Joy Division/New Order, Oasis, Sade, Luther Vandross and the Wu-Tang Clan. The nominees who didn’t make the cut were the Black Crowes, Jeff Buckley, Mariah Carey, Melissa Etheridge, Lauryn Hill, Inxs, New Edition, Pink and Shakira. For the record, I would have yet again found it difficult to vote for eight nominees amongst all the acts named above and, as in the past, explained why. If I’d been sent the written form my crosses would have appeared against Phil Collins (who was an affable bloke when I knew him back in the 1970s), Joy Division/New Order (not least because I want to see how the Peter Hook v The Rest fight plays out at the ceremony), Oasis (in the hope that Liam embarrasses everyone), Luther Vandross (the Bowie connection), Jeff Buckley (terrific songwriter/guitarist) and Black Crowes (honest toilers at the R&R coalface). That’s only six, two below the required number. 

It’ll be interesting to see how Iron Maiden behave during the ceremony, singer Bruce Dickinson having delivered trenchant criticism of the R&RHoF in the past (“an utter and complete load of bollocks... run by a bunch of sanctimonious bloody Americans who wouldn’t know rock ‘n’ roll if it hit them in the face.”)

This year Gram Parsons gets in as an ‘Early Influence’, which is long overdue, but still no Emmylou Harris, ditto Slade, Richard Thompson and the Smiths. And how about Albert Lee for the ‘Musical Excellence’ category? 


No comments: